Pastors work hard to serve God’s people. Many things they do or feel may go unnoticed. Or you may not even realize pastors have these thoughts. Here are 20 things you should know about your pastor.
These are true about most pastors I know. I’ve followed each statement with a specific response from you, as you help encourage and support your pastors for the good of the Gospel!
20 Things You Should Know About Your Pastor:
1. He loves God and you a lot. (Be mindful.)
2. He is a painfully limited human being. (Be realistic.)
3. He probably has a pretty low view of his “performance.” (Be kind.)
4. He wishes he were a better preacher. (Be awake.)
5. He really does want God’s best for you and your family. (Be open-hearted.)
6. His work knows no time or locational boundaries. (Be patient.)
7. He hears much more negative information than positive. (Be encouraging.)
8. He has chosen a vocation in which few remain. (Be praying.)
9. He has chosen a highly leadership-intensive call. (Be lead-able.)
10. He needs help. (Be available.)
11. His God-given vision is bigger than himself and the church. (Be faith-filled.)
12. He wants to personally meet all the needs, but knows he can’t. (Be understanding.)
13. He’s going to say some dumb things every now and then. (Be forgiving.)
14. His family is patient with you, so be patient with them. (Be conscientious.)
15. He is greatly encouraged by your faithfulness. (Be there.)
Cary Schmidt serves as the Senior Pastor of Emmanuel Baptist Church in Newington, Connecticut. He and his wife, Dana, have been blessed with three children and have enjoyed twenty-three years of marriage and ministry together. Cary’s passion is to love God, love his family, and point people to Jesus Christ through teaching, preaching, and writing. He has also written eleven books. | @caryschmidt | website
This post originally appeared at CarySchmidt.com.
Find yourself facing the challenges above? Contact us regarding Leadership Coaching or Church Strategy Consulting to take your leadership to the next level.
Scott Ball is the Vice President and a Lead Guide with The Malphurs Group. He lives in East Tennessee with his wife and two children. (Email Scott).